Dusty, I love you with all my heart.

Dusty, I love you with all my heart.

Sunday, July 4, 2010

New Friends

Well, I wasn't really planning on adopting new friends so soon after losing my beloved; however, a picture in the online newspaper ad just pulled at my heartstrings.  These two were being given up because one of the family members developed severe allergies.  Both dogs appear to be healthy and were vet-checked just last Monday.  They are both purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniels which did raise some red flags with me because they are known to have a lot of health issues.  But, if you know me, I tend to gravitate toward the ones who are most unlikely to be wanted.

Axel is the black and tan one.  He is 3 years old and is a bit on the chubby side so the previous owners did recently start him on a diet.  That, however, has raised some concerns with me as he apparently has some food aggression issues.  He has to be monitored or he will steal everyone elses food and treats.  I guess I will have my work cut out for me there because I won't tolerate that behavior.  He has no knowledge of what "leave it" means.

Diesel is the red one.  He is 1 years old and still has a bit of puppy in him.  He loves to play and get a lot of attention.  I suppose since Axel is the elder, he is used to being submissive to him and readily gives up his treats or bones to Axel. 

Although they both seem to know a few basic commands, they do not walk well on a leash.  The previous owners also crated these dogs a lot--all day during work and at night.  While I believe in crate training, this seems a bit excessive to me.

I know some behavior changes are needed and I know I need to let them adjust.  We will learn to get along. They are very friendly and love attention!  Oh, and Axel snores--yes, who needs a husband when you have a dog who snores!  LOL!!


No comments: